Tuesday 2 December 2014

The argument for e books, one point of view



There are still many writers that shun e books and think they are cheap and badly written. In many ways I agree with them, that some are badly written. However that does in no way means the story is bad. There are many stories that I have read that have many typo’s, but if the story is good and is compelling me to read on, then in most cases I can read over them.

In my 67 years of life I have read many books a long time before the internet was invented let alone the e book. I lay on my bed most nights in the barrack room for seven years reading just about every genre that every other soldier bought. There was an endless supply of free reading that in some cases after reading some other soldiers book, we bought the next one in the series from that writer.

I have only been writing stories for ten years, and it was not until six years ago I started getting them published. Reading books up until then had not been a problem, but all that changed. I wear glasses now and I find they make it seem like hard work to read a book.

I have now been writing and reading mono on my desk top and lap top for eight years and it affects the way I read books. My brain had come accustomed to looking at only one page in front of me like all writers. I would think most writers can put this aside and pick up a book and read.

Just over a year ago I had a mini stroke that for ten days had me almost paralysed down my left hand side. It took ten days of hard work by me, and perseverance and dedication by the occupational therapy nurses. I now have all my movement back and consider myself very lucky that I am alive still and able to write.

However it did leave me with a slight problem with my vision, but not severely impairing it. It has also got part to do with my brain that was slightly affected. I can still read and write with no problems, but only mono pages. I had not realised until I arrived home that when trying to read a hard back book I was going to have problems. The problem started in the hospital but in my semi confused state I never gave it much thought. I put my problem down to concentration, and forgot about it once my daughters brought me my lap top.

I was almost two months at home when I found the problem reading was still there. I opened the book and started to read with no problems. I turned the page and read page two and it was on page three my original problem I found in the hospital was still persisting. As I was reading page three on the right my left eye was picking up writing on page two and confusing me. The other thing I noticed was the writing was hard to read as it was too dull on a, white page that looked grey.

I tried for many days to get past the third page without success and gave up, my daughters bless them realised the problem and bought me a kindle. The kindle being mono and electric white background I had no problems.

The point is without the e books now I would have a problem reading any stories. There is now the app to download kindle onto a desk top or lap top. This is a must for those people that have a problem reading even with glasses on because the print is bigger. The argument for and against e books is a no brainer, because there are people out there that wish to read books that cannot afford the hard back copy.

Be well


No comments:

Post a Comment