Wednesday 31 December 2014

A Rewarding Recreation


Long Tailed Tit

I decided a few months ago that I was getting to old to sit on the river bank waiting for the float to wobble or disappear. I have found that freezing near to death, and withstanding winds that struck me on my right side, and after passing through my body exited on the left is not what my winter years are about. At sixty seven years old the mind and body needs to be active, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.
Coal Tit


I had my writing that keeps me occupied a great deal of my time, but it was not exciting or an outdoor experience. I realised that I cannot write 24 hours a day, well maybe I could but that was not the point, and needed an alternative hobby or recreational interest. I went and bought a digital camera and tripod, with very little knowledge of how the thing works. For those that do know, it is a PENTAX, X5 Bridge Camera with x25zoom. Wow! And we all know what that means? Yea right.
Jay


Well I think I have it mastered, after reading the Quick Guide that came in the box of goodies. In the case of this camera’s quick guide, I have seen more information on my back of my plastic drivers licence. So I would think the right words instead of mastered should be, fully baffled.
Blue Tit


So here I am armed with a dangerous piece of technology and no idea what to do with it. I looked out of my bedroom window and saw a rook sitting on my fence. Pictures of birds came to mind, but a picture of one rook was not going to excite me. I placed bird feeders outside of my bedroom window on the slab about ten feet from the glass. 
Grey Bushchar


It is at this point when I realised there was a wealth of nature on my doorstep. Roughly forty yards away there is woodland heading up hill, and with the fall of leaves I can see right. The hill allows me to see right back another ten to twenty yards.
Great Tit


Having lived in the country and not the town I have always respected nature, and my new hobby has rekindled my thirst to see more in all of its glory. I think that I am lucky to have such a variety of animals and birds visiting my area. I have even been lucky to have some European birds visit. I don’t think that any of us appreciate the living things about us. We don’t seem to take the time to look at these creatures that share our world with us.
Robin


Whatever I have put my mind and hands to during my life I have always tried to achieve more than I expect myself to do. Why give 80% when another short time will reap the reward of 100%.
Rook


The camera has given me a new outlook on life and a rewarding pastime. On my journeys around the UK doing research for new stories my camera will now be part of my luggage. No one can say they have seen all life has to offer until they are sucking in their last breath, and I have a long way and many pictures to take before that happens to me.
Pigeon

All of the birds above i have photographed from my bedroom window. It just passes the time away before writing the next page in my story, an occupational rest.

Be well Ian.


No comments:

Post a Comment