Sunday 5 November 2017

Jenny the Rescue Dog

Jenny the rescue Dog

Before I go any further I should tell you that instead of getting my new dog from some nasty puppy farm in the UK I went to a dog rescue site.    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ Help Pozega Dogs/

I now have a three almost four year old Golden Labrador that is named Jenny, and she arrived all the way from Bucharest. Yes you read that correct she traveled all the way from certain death in Romania with her three pups.   Although there has been no problems of bonding between her and me she still has memories of her past abandonment on the streets.

I am under the belief that these rescued dogs don’t recover from the traumatic experience of being left to fend for themselves. Jenny has her huge doggy cushion next to the wall, but near my desk in my room. She is well fed and always has plenty of water, but that is not good enough for her. Now and again my daughter brings me a KFC, Big Mac, or a Burger King meal when she returns from shopping.

Like all normal people I eat the meal and put the rapper in the bin, and it is there where the old Jenny lives her old days on the streets. I have walked outside doing work, and on my return the waste-bin full of mostly papers is tipped up and scattered about the floor. This inconvenience of forcing me to clean up an unwanted mess is all down to her searching for the empty Big Mac bag, KFC box, or the Burger King wrapper. Either one of these items is likely to be found near her cushion.


I used to be annoyed at first, but quickly realised that the way she is only picking out the bag, box wrapper. It was her way of sustaining her life and those of her pups for only God knows how many months or maybe even years on the streets of Bucharest. If I am going to be out of the room for more than ten minutes now I remove the waste-bin. I do this even if there is none of her desired waste there, because her search is never ending.

These dogs do not just need the permanent home with a loving family. They need a great amount of understanding to not just help them feel safe but also secure in knowing they will never be abandoned again. I am surprised that in Europe there are dogs like Jenny that are still alive to be taken off the streets by anyone.


In 1979 while serving with the army in Germany I was taking a short cut through the park in Detmold on my way to the Bank. A police officer shouted, “British Soldier stop,” while he ran towards me taking out his pistol. I cannot tell you the words I was saying under my breath when seeing this. He stopped near me, and studied the lone Alsatian to my front before without warning shot the dog in the head.


I looked at him as if to ask explain and he said, “No collar and no name tag possible rabies.” Up until that point I had never given stray dogs or rabies a thought, but after it gave me a whole new outlook on life. I am very happy that Jenny was saved from the mouth of death not once but maybe twice, and so too were her pups. She is a very good companion to me and adopting her was the best decision I have made.


Be Well Ian.

2 comments:

  1. Ian You Have The Puppies Too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lila, But i know that they were also saved and people i know have them.

      Delete