Sunday 28 September 2014

The Midnight Witch

The Midnight Witch
The Witch Trials

Now close your eyes, and picture the scene
I was holding my breath, not wanting to scream
With the sun going down at the back of the hill
Long shadows were cast, and a short time to kill

There was a breeze that was drifting, cool through the trees
On the edge of the forest, I was down on my knees
It was nearing the time and almost midnight
I had heard of the witch, but it still was not right


To my right was a valley, and at the end was the coast
To my left there’s a house, in the window a ghost
I could see the clouds moving, travelling fast out of sight
Pulling behind them, the dark, lonely night

Inside the wooden porch I could hear the doorbell
The sound being echoed by the one on the well
Leading out from the door was a path made from white stone
As the slow minutes passed I felt fear and alone

The wind whistled through branches of trees up high
While the gate hinges screeched in an unearthly cry
It was then that I saw what would soon be my fate
A heap of dead branches in the centre a stake


What would take place I would know very soon?
But it would not take place until the light of the moon
Far in the distance I heard the screech of an owl
Dancing on the wind, that sounded quite foul

I glanced at the shadows that were moving about
The moon playing tricks, with my eyes there’s no doubt
I then heard the crack of a twig on the ground
I lowered my head as my wrists were now bound

My naked torso had the cold sweat of fear
I knew that the Witch was standing quite near
“Lift up your head, Ian,” my name slipped from her lip
It was spoken quite slow, and with a whispering hiss

I looked at this phantom and feared for what was in store
She looked wicked and evil and bad to the core
It was all hallows night with the moon I could see
She had come for a victim, and I knew it was me


With the wave of her wand I was tied to the post
I was standing looking back at this cold, fearful, ghost
The form that captured me was a frightful sight
Her eyes glowing green, and lit up by moon light

I pulled at my bonds but they held me quite tight
The heap of dead branches would soon be alight.
I was there for her pleasure to be burnt at the stake
I opened my mouth, but no sound could I make



The cloak on her shoulders was touching the ground
Blowing in the breeze without making a sound
Her hand was exposed and resting down by her side
With her long fingers curled around the wand she could not hide

From inside the forest I heard a wolf cry
This sound from hell brought a tear to my eye
I heard laughter and screaming from the bowels of the earth
The Devil’s Inferno was sealing the curse.

She wickedly laughed, while the wand’s sparks gave a crack
I closed my eyes tight when the flames touched my back
The pain was unreal, as I screamed into the night
I cried out again feeling the heat start to bite


The fire at my feet was slow burning at best
When I looked down at my body, there were burns on my chest
When the heat finally stopped, I looked up in fear
I got a surprise, she was standing quite near

“You have served me well, Ian, being here at midnight
I’ll return your wicked gesture, and make it all right”
With a wave of her wand the pain disappeared
Along with the burns on my chest that I feared
My wrists were now free, and my head feeling light
I watched the Midnight Witch, fade into the night.

Be well Ian

There is a copyright on all of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment